About the Halifax Summer Opera Festival Association
The Halifax Summer Opera Festival Association
Charity BN/Registration #845278522-RR-0001
HSOFA is a non-profit charitable organization operating in Nova Scotia, Canada established for three purposes:
- To advance education by providing summer opera and music theatre performance training in Halifax, Nova Scotia for eligible performers, including adults, youth and children.
- To advance education by providing financial assistance to successful applicants to be used for summer performance education at the Halifax Summer Opera Festival (HSOF).
- To advance the public’s appreciation of the arts by:
- providing high-quality public performances of opera and musical theatre; and
- providing free performances and lectures for audiences that may not be able to attend regular performances.
Board of Directors as of December 2021
Chair: Tim Hill, QC
Treasurer: not filled
Secretary: David Mosey
Past Chair: Andrew Pickett
Nina Scott-Stoddart, Artistic Director
Donate to HSOF
Artistic Director and Founder
Nina Scott-Stoddart is an educator, performer, director, designer and producer of opera and musical theatre. A passionate advocate of demystifying “high” art and helping empower artists, she has spent 25 years teaching, mentoring and inspiring.
As a professional mezzo soprano, Nina has sung with many orchestras and opera companies across Canada and the United States and in New Zealand. She has been recorded as a soloist by NAXOS and broadcast coast to coast on the CBC.
Nina was the co-founder of Toronto’s Opera Anonymous, which produced over 20 well-reviewed works in its eight year history. Since relocating to Nova Scotia in 2002, Nina founded Maritime Concert Opera, which has just completed a very successful 14th season and the Halifax Summer Opera Festival, now entering its 16th year.
Nina lives in Lunenburg with her husband, David, and their five cats, Emma, Katie, Ralph Beaumont and Fletcher.
mobile: (902) 521-8577