The Halifax Summer Opera Festival runs an annual performance workshop in July and August for young international singers. In 2023 we will produce two full opera productions as part of this. Our shows will be Handel’s opera Serse (which will take some inspiration from Muammar Gaddafi’s Libya) and Offenbach’s lively operetta La jolie parfumeuse, set in Paris.
Both shows are modern dress so the larger part of the work is coordinating the clothes artistis bring with them, with the exception of a few special costume pieces (uniforms, for example). For these shows this year the job is more of costume coordinator.
COSTUME COORDINATOR JOB DESCRIPTION
- Determines visual look/concept of costumes in conjunction with the Director and Artistic Director
- Script breakdown and costume plots to determine costume needs of the production.
- Keeps to budget and maintains accurate financial records.
- Selects and procures all materials, costumes and accessories for costumes, including deciding which items need to be built/borrowed/altered and which can be sourced by the performers.
- Obtains measurements of performers in advance (with help from company)
- Fits performers from the first week of the workshop. Makes sure that every character has appropriate costume.
- Prepares any early outfits needed for publicity photos
- Has all costumes ready for first dress rehearsal.
DATES: Prep from June to July – this will include Zoom meetings with directors, script breakdown and costume plots, finalizing visual look, obtaining measurements and initial sourcing and planning.
July 22 to August 19 — the actual dates of the workshop, from first meeting to final performance. This is when you actually have in-person access to the performers. Hours are flexible here as we rehearse from 10 am to 9 pm most days and can work around your schedule until we get to dress rehearsals.
REMUNERATION: $1500 paid in two instalments over the course of the workshop dates. Professional production photos for your portfolio.
Please contact Artistic Director Nina Scott-Stoddart at email@example.com, cell 902-521-8577 or home 902-634-9140